Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Super Girlfriend [X]
Good Job [X]
Bigger Apartment [X]
Pet ...


After many long, Norbertless months I've decided to re-cat my life. I actually decided to do it almost two weeks ago, but it turns out that it's very difficult to get a cat.

I looked through the SFSPCA's website and found a cute little number named Nelly. Despite my association of the name with people on MTV, I thought I should meet the cat and then rename it if I wanted to opt for adoption. I went by during my lunch break and she looked just as cute as can be. When I came back after work she was as adopted as can be.

A few days went by and I found another nice cat on the interweb. (I do seem to start relationships over the internet. Huh. Maybe I should look into that.) This one's name was Sammy and he was orange and fluffy and soft. I had paid my pet deposit and was just waiting for the cat approval letter so I could go fill out the paperwork to bring him home. In my excitement I sent his SFSPCA link to someone to show him off. She wrote back that he had been adopted.

Damn these cute cats! I needed a cat who wasn't quite so adorable on paper. Perhaps one that didn't look like the bluest crystal in the litter box. I needed Clayton.





Clayton is 3 years old, soft, affectionate, and looks like he should be named Clayton. If he lived someplace other than San Francisco I wouldn't be surprised if he would have been photographed with a piece of hay in his mouth.

Cat-approval letter in hand, I drove down to the SFSPCA to adopt Clayton before anyone else figured out that his eyes point in similar directions in person. I visited with him, we bonded, I filled out the paperwork.

"Do you have any questions before we finish up?" the helpful volunteer asked.

"Just one: He seemed to be scratching a little and had some red spots on his ear. Does he have allergies?" I asked, worrying that I would have to feed him Benadryl during the spring.

"We'll have somebody go take a look at him while you finish up here."

When that somebody came back down they made a squished mouthed, big eyed face and then said, "we think Clayton has ringworm. He's heading to the medical unit now."

So I nearly had a cat a week and a half ago. But now he's sitting in a cage while his ring worm culture incubates. Best case scenario is that he doesn't have ringworm and I can take him home on Monday. Worse case scenario is that he does have ringworm and I can take him home 4 weeks from Monday.

I have very little experience with ringworm, but already I find that I'm not fond of it.

6 comments:

Liz said...

Keeping my fingers crossed that he will come home tomorrow!

Jootastic said...

awww... clayton is cute! or you could rename him clay-aiken! it sounds the same.

Kim said...

Awww, he *does* look like a Clayton!

A few years ago I bought an orange Rex cat and her name was "Adorabelle". That was so sickening I couldn't bring myself to say it, not even once. So I called her Doorbell instead. Then she got fat and now I call her Belly.

Anonymous said...

ok, we're ready for a Clayton-at-Home post.

Unknown said...

I think my kitty that came from the Lake County shelter has scabies on her ear. I finally got control of her upper respiratory infection and infected eyes and now this! What did you give Clayton for his ear?

Michael said...

Panolog Cream