Saturday, March 24, 2007

Cooking With Michael
The Paper Towel Edition

Sometimes I'd like a hardboiled egg. And sometimes, when I want that egg, I don't want to wait 10 minutes for the water to boil. But because we live in modern times we have technology available that lets us cook food faster: The microwave.

I know, if you microwave an egg the pressure will build up inside and it might explode. I thought of that and I poked a hole in the top. Problem solved. Won't some of the egg spill out? No, I put it in a little plastic cup so it might remain upright, pressure reducing steam spouting from its apex.

I closed the door and set the microwave for 1 minute.
1 second.
5 seconds.
10 seconds. A small pop. I check my egg to find a small crack has developed and a tiny bit of egg has seeped out. I guess the hole on top wasn't enough, but a hole and a crack has to be sufficient. Right?
15 seconds.
20 seconds.
30 seconds.
45 seconds: BOOOM! Certainly the loudest indoor explosion I've experienced.

I opened the door to find an even coating of mildly cooked egg on all 6 interior surfaces of the microwave. And as the door hung open its coating of egg started to drip onto my fridge and floor.

Some things you may or may not know about partially cooked eggs:
1) They smell awful. About half way between scrambled eggs and a dead thing.
2) They are runny enough to evenly cover a surface, but firm enough to take several wipings to fully remove.
3) They smell awful. A repeat, I know. But it's true enough to be on the list twice.
4) It takes roughly twice the time to clean a medium sized microwave covered in partially cooked egg than it does to fully cook an egg by the conventional boiling method.

People keep telling me that if I want to learn to cook I have to learn by doing. I'm not sure that's always good advice.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think, next time, you should just boil the egg on the stove, but that's just me.

Unknown said...

Jeremy suggests putting the egg in a bowl of water and then microwaving. Boiling water=hard "boiled" egg.

Problem solved.

Anonymous said...

The egg probably cooked from the outside-in, thus blocking all steam ports and creating a mini egg-bomb.

If you think about it, hard-cooked eggs are really very economical time-wise, since you don't technically have to wash a pot afterward. Just rinse and go.

Jojo a. said...

Oh. You did it too. I thought I was the only one who'd ever experience the egg-in-microwave explosion.

The things we learn by explosion. It's impressive.

Anonymous said...

Do yourself a favor. Buy an egg cooker. They're 20 bucks on amazon.com. Made by Germans who know a lot about cooking eggs.. I can attest to that.

Anonymous said...

I put 4 eggs in a bowl of water to "hard boil" and set the timer for 5 minutes, the following explosion was powerfull enough to remove the microwave door and the mess took a full day to clean. So "Lesley said" is an idiot.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry the idiot should have been Jeremy