Sunday, March 22, 2009

Did I Come on Too Weird?

Quite a while ago now I met a guy at one of Flannery's art events. It turns out I remembered one of the projects he worked on from the Maker Faire - cool rolling metal orbs that communicate with each other. We got to talking and he said I should borrow an audio book of his and I said he should borrow Neuromancer by William Gibson.

The following Monday he called me at work (I'd given him my card), but as per usual at work I had zero time to talk and told him I would talk to him later. The next day I found that his email to me had gotten stuck in my work spam service, and the day after that I emailed him to see if he wanted to get together to exchange SciFi media.

I didn't hear from him for a little over a month, and then last week I got an email from him saying he's posted the audio book to his website so I could listen to it. In his email he made what I assumed to be a spellchecker joke about whether the book was called Neuromancer or Necromancer, which is what spell check always suggests.

I downloaded the audio book and wrote him back to thank him and offer to get together to lend him the William Gibson book. Curios as to what a Necromancer actually was I did some googling. It was not what I thought it was, and I made the following joke:

And it's [the book] definitely Neuruomancer. While spell check might urge you down the path of Necromancing, don't trust it. On the bright side Necromancer has something to do with summoning demons. The bright side being that I assumed that it has something to do with romantic necropheliacs.

Necropheliac: "She seemed a little cold toward me."
Necromancer: "Well did you bring her flowers?"


I haven't heard anything since. What do you think? Did I come on too weird?

No comments: