Monday, July 10, 2006

Dawn's Fissure

Tomorrow's my big day. I get to be radiated for the first time. And the best part of the whole deal is that my appointments, Monday through Friday for the next 3 weeks, are at 6:45am. This makes it early enough so I won't miss work, but late enough so I have to get ready for work before I go. Hello 5am.

I haven't visited 5am much recently, but I'm pretty sure any time pre the already ugly 6am is not my friend.

This weekend I went to a wedding which was almost entirely a good time. The single part that wasn't was when a guy at my table came over for what I thought was a friendly conversation. We talked about U.C. Davis, jobs, and post-school debt. I guess we both managed to not really have any after college, but he related that after he got married he and his wife found their way into the red. His plan was to be all paid off in 5 years. They planned to do this, he explained, through he and his wife's business.

Me: What kind of business do you run?
Him: I'm an internet franchise owner.
Me: What does the franchise do?
Him: Sets up online communities.
Me: So how do you make money?
Him: Well, most people spend half their budget on advertising, and we don't have to. So we've doubled our money right there.
Me: Well, that's money you don't have to spend, but how does the money come in?
Him: We sell the rights to set up online communities.

Ah. So it's a pyramid scheme. He then went on to explain the he and his wife had just met with the guy who founded the company. Apparently this guy has 9 Corvettes and earns 90K a month in passive income. And through the seminars that this guy puts on he and his wife plan to retire in 3 years. And didn't that sound good to me?

No.

I'm not sure he's going to do well in the pyramid scheme of things. You can't go around telling people that you plan to get out of debt in 5 years and retire in 3. I'm pretty sure that retiring while you're still in debt makes it both hard to retire and hard to get out of debt.

Also, who wants 9 Corvettes? How about spending some of your passive income on a little variety?

4 comments:

Ginamonster said...

good gravy. I'm glad you are smart enough to run. I had to learn that lesson the hard way. and my sister? learned it the even harder way and almost went bankrupt.

Rees said...

He wasn't even offering the opportunity to become the douchebag who owns 9 Corvettes, just to (I guess?) bask in the douchebag's reflected glory by joining his fake organization.

Great salesmanship there!

Anonymous said...

say hello to 5am for me. Lately I seem to be bumping into its second cousin 5:30 am...why? Because my dreams are filled with oversized mice that frighten me out of REM.

Anyhoo, good lucky with the radiation. Hope you are well.

sightofstars said...

9 corvettes is just plain greedy. i could maybe see having 7 (one for every day of the week) but even 7 is excessive.

9 mini coopers, however... THAT's a different story. i don't think you could have too many of those.

when you're up for it, i would be totally down for another trip to GFC. just let me know when. i'm feeling much better these days.