Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Beep Beep, Dinner's Mediocre

There hangs on my wall a little, white device. It winks its light from time to time to let me know it's on the lookout. Through night and day it stays vigilant, ready to leap into action at any moment.

When I'm cooking this little device warns me that whatever I happen to be making is going to turn out poor to middling in the taste department. Beep, the toast was done 30 seconds ago. Beep, that stuff that used to be sauce is now asphalt. Beep, your chicken has developed a crust.

Tonight was no different. I used a little more of my wine, some mushrooms, some garlic, and some onions. if I had stopped there I would have had a really excellent bowl of garlicky mushrooms, but I didn't. I added chicken and burnt the left over juices from cooking the mushrooms to the pan, and dried the outside of the chicken while leaving the inside tender and pink. I like my chicken well-done.

Two more chicken breasts to go. I may resort to my hour-in-foil-in-oven method and stick some pepper jack cheese on top. Cheese makes everything better. Or maybe I will throw the rest of the chicken away and just eat the cheese.

No comments: