Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Incurable Fixit

Today I was driving back from Union City where I had been to fix* a bed frame. Before I set off into 3:30pm traffic on 880, I went in search of a bathroom at Petco. In the bathroom, on the counter next to the empty paper towel dispenser, was a nearly full roll of paper towels.

I can see three explanations for this:
1) They lost the key to the dispenser.
2) The key is available, but they can't figure out how to install the roll.
3) The guy who is in charge of cleaning the brown ring out of the urinal is also in charge of the paper towel supply. I.E. Laziness.

Being the person I am, I flipped out my Leatherman Micra and popped the lock on the towel dispenser, perused the handy instructions printed on the inside, and loaded the paper towels.

I was a little unhappy that I'd taken the time to upgrade Petco's bathroom facilities because in the process of closing the dispenser lid I got whatever goo was on top all over my hands. And apparently the squirt of soap I had used before spotting the paper towel tragedy was the last squirt available, so I had to make do with rinsing my hands and wiping them with a freshly loaded paper towel. Thank goodness for my endless supply of hand sanitizer.


* I didn't actually fix the frame. It frame was not broken. Our homecare bed frames get crooked after a while if you don't either bring them up to their full height or lower them to the ground. Many adjustments around the middle of their height range make one end of the bed significantly higher than the other. But it's easy to fix: Bring the bed all the way up or all the way down. I tried to establish whether or not this was the problem before I drove the 40 miles to Union City, and I was assured that a) the bed was put together backwards, and b) only half the bed would move. I think there was some sort of language/IQ barrier between the person on the phone and I because both a) and b) were totally false. Jerks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Petco: where the Mikes go." The new slogan for sure!