Monday, March 08, 2004

Even Cold November Rain

Instead of going to sleep, which is what I really should be doing, I’m going to write about graffiti. The graffiti in question was spray painted in large black letters on the side of the Beauty Bar on 19th and Mission here, in my fair city, San Francisco (or Fran, for short.)



I took that picture after my girlfriend, Kristin, (or Knife, for short) saw the quality verbiage and pointed it out to me. The reason she wanted a picture is because of the graffiti’s apparent lack of grammar. Or, failing that, it’s missing word(s). It needs a "looks like," or a "needs," or perhaps a "is not a complete sentence on its own."

So I took this picture and, being the huge computer nerd that I am, did an in-quotes google search for the text of the graffiti. Among the 51 results are a couple references to a song called "This Is What Your Face (Bicyclist)," and one called "This Is What Your Face (November Rain)." According to the website, both, um, songs(?) fall into the genre of Noise/Paincore.

Noise/Paincore seems to be really loud, unpleasant, tuneless, rhythmless (or crappy, for short) noise. These two noise tracks, available on Gynormis 5’s album "Girls Don’t Fight Back," somehow inspired the graffiti. Also, according to the website, Gynormis 5 did a 25 minute dance show in front of the Beauty Bar. Maybe it was permanent spraypaint advertising. An excellent idea if they had followed it with a web address, and aren't worried about being blamed for it. I’m willing to bet that most people just think the person who wrote it is dumb.

I know what the back-story is, and I still think the person who wrote it is dumb.

No comments: