Sunday, March 07, 2004

Got Job?

I’m thinking about jobs today. I moved to the bay area right when the economy crapped out, so the enthusiastic job prognostication of all my engineering teachers didn’t even come close to coming true. Post B.S. in Electrical Engineering, I’ve been a temp worker, an employee of The Gap and Best Buy, a valet (very briefly), and a metalworker. Currently I’m unemployed.

Being a metal worker was by far the most fun. I didn’t have to dress up for work, there where no customers, I got to build things, and best of all, I got to set things on fire on a regular basis. If I could find a job that incorporated all those aspects again, I would be a very happy camper. But as I set out on about my 6th week of unemployment I’m not nearly so picky. However, I am still trying with all my might to avoid retail.

In my search for jobs I’ve applied to a vast variety: Toy Designer, Computer Help Desk, Quality Assurance, Private Investigator/Decoy (I’m not sure about the decoy aspect), Entry Level Firmware Engineer, Computer Tech/Sales (which is retail, but the store seemed nice), Production Assistant for Tech TV, and Gallery Assistant. There are actually more than that, but you get the drift.

I hate applying for jobs. You spend time looking for them, typing up a cover letter, making sure you didn’t accidentally spell your name wrong, sending out your resumé, and then hearing nothing. It’s a huge void. I’ve heard back from exactly two submissions. The first was Tech TV, which actually gave me a phone interview. It was a good start, or so I thought, but I haven’t heard a peep since. The second was the Toy Designer position, which was at least nice enough to send me an automated email saying they got my info. Most places don’t even do that. Does anyone know how to get into the field of being independently wealthy? Or how about setting things on fire for money? I have an excellent picture of a flaming sink to sell.

For many a birthday or a passing of 11:11 I would wish to be in a band, have a girlfriend, and have a job. I had them all for roughly 30 seconds. It was a nice 30 seconds, but I guess two out of three isn't too bad.


No comments: