Thursday, March 04, 2004

Killing Me Softly with Its Song

Websites don’t need music. I guess some do - maybe a band’s website, or a page dedicated to MIDI files - but most do not. I have just been to a website which explains some key phrases in American Sign Language (ASL). While I understand what the song is trying to say, I don’t need to hear "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" while I’m trying to figure out if a certain sign means “I love you.” I imagine it doesn’t do the deaf any good either. It also insures that I will never aim that particular sign at the person who made that page.

My best guess is that the page in question was designed circa ’98 when everyone and their mother had a website. [My website is www.spiralkid.com and my mom’s is www.pattykadel.com.] I’ve seen web pages with MIDI music in them, and they are almost always annoying. However, they usually come with an off button, and that makes them better. Now no one uses MIDI and everyone has a blog. Get with the times people. Start an ASL blog.

No comments: