Thursday, March 18, 2004

Jorbs
(The R is on purpose. It’s a Homestar reference.)

I’ve been thinking about jobs again because so many interests are out to take away my money, and no one seems to want to give me any to make up for it.

My car is the first of many players out to kill my bank account. In preparation for my trip to Oregon last weekend I got new tires (mine where kind of bald), got my oil changed, and had a rattle investigated. The tires cost $330, and the oil change/rattle investigation cost $440. The rattle turned out to be something in my timing belt, so while it sucked monetarily to fix, it was probably for the best.

On my way to Oregon I also got a speeding ticket. I guess that wasn’t my car’s fault, but I’m still not happy about it. Still in the car talking my money vain, after returning from my trip I discovered a photo-enforcement red-light-running ticket in my pile of mail. The red light ticket is $360. For those of you keeping track that’s $1050, plus the fine for the speeding, which is as of now, still unknown.

Two other key players in my anti-money conspiracy are the EDD and Best Buy. EDD has been paying me my unemployment benefits up until this week. They’ve stopped now because they asked Best Buy if I had been laid off and Best Buy said that no I hadn’t, and that I still work there. There are several problems with this. 1) I never told the EDD I had been laid off from best buy. I was laid off from Lavezzo Designs, which employed me after I quit working at Best Buy. 2) I quit working at Best Buy in August. If I still work there, I’ve been missing out on a lot of money.

So here are the future options I’ve been considering:

-Going back to get a masters in something. I’m not sure about which subject. Electrical Engineering? Nuclear Engineering? Something that will instantly get me a job when I’m done. Any ideas?

-Selling used books out of a rolly suitcase at, or near the airport. It seems like one could make money that way considering the price of the in-airport bookstores as long as I didn’t get myself arrested.

-Busking.

The last two don’t seem like they have big earning potential, and the first one involves spending more money that I have and moving away from everything fun. So seriously, there’s a comment section so you readers can tell me how to be independently wealty. Use it.

No comments: