Sunday, November 14, 2004

Air Mail

For the past week I've been lounging on the futon in my living room. (Not all week, just during my free time.) But I discovered last night that I don't get any reception over there, and since I'm on call, I need reception. For some reason the couch on the other side of my living room is a better place for receiving pages. So, after sitting on the couch for the first time this week, I noticed a package sitting out on my balcony and went outside to investigate. It was addressed to the people in 201, the apartment directly above mine on the third floor. It was marginally grimy, so I think it had probably been out there for 3 days give or take.

(I live on a busy street. Anything that stays outside for more than 30 seconds begins to turn grey with car schmutz. Hence the ability to estimate how long something has been sitting on my balcony via its grime factor.)

My best and only theory as to how the package got there is this: The DHL guy brings the package to my building. He rings the bell for 201 and no one answers. Assuming that my building makes sense, he figures 201 is probably the first balcony on the left and on the second floor. So he takes the package and throws it up on to my balcony. Of course my building doesn't make sense (or have heat) and he managed to deliver it to 101. It's a good think I'm honest (and don't need a messenger bag.)

Can anyone come up with a better theory? Remind me never to use DHL to ship my breakables.

No comments: