Wednesday, November 24, 2004

How to Take a Compliment

I'm not good at taking compliments. If somebody tells me I look nice, or have a nice voice, or whatever it may be, I tend to look at the ground and mumble thanks. I think I've even been known to shuffle my feet. I can be downright bashful when I have a mind to be, dangnabbit.

It stands to reason then, that I'd be worse at taking compliments which aren't really related to me and to which there are no obvious retorts. “Thanks” is an easy thing to say to those first examples up there, and I have trouble with that. So imagine my befuddlement when someone tells me that their recently departed loved one really enjoyed my company’s air mattress. Something along the lines of, "She really liked it. When we set her down on it she almost screamed for joy it was so soft." What do you say to that? All I could come up with was "I'm glad it worked out."

Others that came to mind but were not spoken:

1) "I'm glad she enjoyed it." That's not going to work because "enjoy" doesn't really describe what the average hospice patient does on our mattresses.

2) "Who screams for joy?" That's not really a response to a compliment, but definitely something that occurred to me to ask.

3) "We aim to please." That one doesn't seem appropriate when the coroner was there exactly an hour before I was there.

Then again, in those circumstances nothing seems appropriate. I should learn sign language and pretend I'm deaf. Or maybe say, "Please sign here. I don't speak English. I only know the phrase, 'please sign here' and this phrase explaining that I can't speak English and only know two phrases." (Family Guy reference, not rip off.)

No comments: