Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The First Night in the New Place

Before heading over to my new apartment, I took careful stock of what I was going to take with me. I was moving my file cabinet, my towel, my toiletries, a change of clothing, my pillows, and everything from my medicine cabinet. I looked. I thought. I decided that I had everything.

So I drove to my new place and unloaded my van, put all my bathroom stuff away, and built a set of shelves. At bed time I turned to my brand new, super squishy, never-before-slept-in bed, and realized that I'd forgotten my comforter. All I had available between me and the elements (besides four walls and a roof) was a single cotton sheet.

My first Idea was to use my great big Costco towel. It's big, but not full size bed big. So at 10:45pm I decided that I was cold and that I needed more of a barrier against the harsh San Francisco June. Luckily, I own far too many t-shirts.

I opened up my box of t-shirts and spread them evenly over my sheet. 25 t-shirts and 5 minutes later I was snug as a bug in a rug named Doug.

I would have been all set for the night if I hadn't left the flaps of my t-shirt box open to slowly scratch closed over the next 3 hours. Until I actually got up and turned on the light I was convinced I had a mouse in my box. When I discovered what it actually was I was most annoyed that I hadn't closed it earlier. However it was an excellent demonstration of plate tectonics, and how things move a lot (relatively speaking) from time to time, not a little constantly.

Then again, nobody wants science at 2am.

No comments: