Friday, June 03, 2005

Shopping for Beds

I've decided to buy a bed. The idea came from 2 realizations.

The first was that if I buy a new bed, I don't have to move my old one. The bed people come to my new apartment and drop off my bed. Then, when I'm ready to start sleeping there, I'll put my current bed on craigstlist in the free department.

The second realization came while watching the American version of The Office. One of the office characters was making fun of Steve Carrell's character for sleeping on a futon. I think they said something like, "what's he doing sleeping on a futon? I mean, he's a grown man." I sleep on a futon. I am 26. It's time for a real bed. Plus I'm always hitting my arms and feet on the stupid armrests.

So I'm trying to decide now between the Serta Velveteen Eurotop, full set for $600, or the Serta Blue Oak Eurotop, full set for $950. The Blue Oak is much nicer than the Velveteen, but is it $350 nicer? And I sure wish I could compare prices between stores, but it seems that every store calls the mattress something new. I can't tell which is which. One place has the Serta King Fluffy European Topped Comfy Castle for $799, and another place only carries the Serta Anti-lump Squish-o-rama Sleepgasm for $800 (box spring sold separately.) And the Serta site doesn't list their various models at all. They only list the Perfect Sleeper and the Perfect Night. Mancini Sleep world didn't mention perfect squat. (However, if I had to choose, I think a perfect sleep would probably be included in my perfect night. That, a dinner of Chicken Madera, and sweet, sweet nub. So the perfect night series might be the way to go.)

You'd think that working in the world of mattresses as I do, I would be perfectly poised to make an informed purchasing decision. Not so. All the mattresses I'm looking at are pillow topped or euro topped. When I step outside the realm of alternation pressure relief, I am lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay yeah you think you've got it bad?
I'm 43 and have returned to sleeping on a futon because it so difficult to buy a new mattress and the old one is lumpy.

I started at Macy, strayed to IKEA and plane to visit sleep train and Mancini. God help us all it is flipping impossible to compare products. I am so relieved to see that I am not alone in my quandry.

Anonymous said...

Interested. Keep Blogging!