Friday, June 24, 2005

My Day Off

Today is my roommate's going away party, the night my sister and her boyfriend get into town, and the day before a big family weekend in Napa. So I took the day off to get ready for all this stuff.

I started the day by going to Borders Books to shop for some, well, books. I hadn't had any breakfast when I arrived, so I got a raspberry bar and some ice tea. Sitting next to me, while I ate my ras-be-bar, was an old black man with thinning hair combed such that he had a very defined part. He was dressed in a linen shirt and pants, both extremely wrinkle free and rust colored. From the neck up he wore huge red Sally Jesse Rafael reading glasses and to top it all off (as it were), a pith helmet. (Like the one below, minus the pink strap.)



As I type this my room is being rocked by the overwhelming din of power tools. They were doing something to the front of the house, and when I opened my door the upstairs lady tried to explain what they were up to. Unfortunately she did it in Chinese, so the only word I caught was window. It turns out she was saying, "we're putting bars on our windows. Doesn't that make you feel like you picked a nice safe neighborhood?" Or something to that effect.

No comments: