Sunday, June 05, 2005

A Word of Advice from the "Do as I Say, Not as I Do" Files

I was waiting in my new apartment for Mancini Sleepwear to drop off my fancy new mattress, and I discovered that my doorbell doesn't work. No problem, I simply left my door open a crack to hear them knock on the outer door. I wanted to be extra sure I could hear them, because I needed to go to the airport to pick somebody up immediately after the Mancini guys left.

And then I dropped my phone in the toilet.

There are a number of things that can't happen with a waterlogged phone:
- Mancini can't call me to say that they can't find my house.
- I can't exchange phone calls to find anyone at the airport.
- I can't make all the vital phone calls that need to be made for my own mattress delivery antics.

I reached in a grabbed my phone and immediately turned it off, then let it air out for a while. When I put the battery back in and turned it on some of the buttons didn't work and the screen was all foggy. So I put it in the oven on warm for a while. That made the screen better, but the end/on/off button kept pressing itself. My phone would turn off, then on, then off, then on, then off, then on but displayed the time and date as 1:30am January 4th, 2000.

So it spent some more time in the oven. After the mattress guys left my phone left the oven for a position in front of my car's air vent with the AC and heat turned all the way up. That seemed to do the trick, and now I have a fully functioning phone. (Although the volume up button only started working 5 minutes ago.)

To sum up, the moral of the story is that when you need your cell phone the most; don't drop it in the toilet.


(And because I'm sure inquiring minds want to know, it fell in before, not after.)

No comments: