Wednesday, November 15, 2006

All Hail the Sheila

After my thrilling evening of waking up with a sheet of plastic on my head and surrounded by plants and dirt, I've decided to go with drapes to keep the neighbors from watching me wander around in my underpants while still letting sunlight into my little room. (How's that for a HUGE sentence slash synopsis of "Last time on Annoying yourself without improving your living space, with Mike?")

I started my Tuesday with one drape which was more than wide enough and about a foot too long for my tiny window. I ended my Tuesday with two nicely sized drapes, half a box of fried rice (also how I started my Wednesday), three carrot cake cookies, and the promise of dirt free sheets.

The drapes were a collaboration with the following contributions:

Me:
- Brought the drape.
- Cut the fabric.
- Ripped stitches.
- Folded up 2 seams.
- Ironed 2 seams.
- Sewed 2 seams.
- Fidgeted while trying to help but actually hindering progress.

Sheila:
- Ironed most of the drape.
- Ironed in the cut lines.
- Showed me where to cut the fabric.
- Showed me which stitches to rip.
- Showed me how to make seams.
- Folded up 1.5 seams.
- Sewed 1 seam.
- Fabricated two small loops from one large loop.
- Fastened the loops on all straight and nice.
- Started and finished sewing all my seams.
- Donated thread, the use of her sewing machine, expertise, 2.5 hours, and 3 cookies.

Without further ado, here is my newly covered window:

*

Sheila rocks!



* It looks like the right drape is longer than the left one but I can assure you that it's not. Something must have been caught on something when I took the picture, because it's as even as a bowl of oatmeal now.

3 comments:

sightofstars said...

i knew i should have re-ironed them before you left!

if it bothers you, there's this cool stuff that Downy makes called Wrinkle Releaser—you just spray it on the fabric, give it a little tug, and like magic the wrinkles are released! no iron required.

of course, that would entail you getting in your car, going the store and buying it, driving back home and applying it. so i'm guessing they'll be wrinkled forever.

otherwise, the curtains look great! hopefully the curtain rod won't leap off in the middle of the night and cause more chaos...

Anonymous said...

I need some of those. When I pull the string to open or close my bedroom blinds they threaten to jump right off the window frame. It's only a matter of time. Those would be just right. I will even provide the cookies.

Jootastic said...

Wow...the trading spaces music just came on in my head. Did you guys have to wear ugly smock like shirt things?