Sunday, June 27, 2004

Coming Home

I don't have to worry about Kristin being sick anymore, because she's coming home. She'll be back the USA, land of the mostly microbe free drinking water and reliable medical care. I shall be much relieved when get to see her away from the vastly unpleasant El Salvador.

I tried to call her several times tonight. I got through the first time fine, but when I called back the front desk guy wouldn't patch me through. I have no idea why he wouldn't patch me through because he didn't speak English, and I don't speak Spanish. So I would slowly ask for "sitio dos diez por favor." (Thanks to Babelfish) Then he would say something very fast and full of Spanish. Then I would say, "okay por favor" and hang up. It was only after I'd called 3 times over the course of about a half hour that I realized I was saying, "okay please." After the third call, I waited an hour in hopes that the line would become un-busy, or that someone else would start answering the phone. When I did call back it was the same guy, but I got through fine. Although he almost faked me out by saying something that had the word "no" in it. He was probably telling me never to attempt Spanish again.

No comments: