Friday, June 04, 2004

The Hiccup Questions Answered

Did my hiccups go away? Yes. Did they take their sweet time in doing so? Most definitely.

I noticed after my first little meal that eating seemed to make the hiccups go away for a short while. So later on I had some toast, which did the trick for about a half hour. But sure enough, the hiccups came back. Luckily I really like toast, so I had some more. And while toast part II was scrumptious, the hiccups didn't go away. So from that point I hiccupped straight on through 'til 11:45pm.

I did try several other things to get rid of them. Among them:

-Drinking water out of the far side of the glass. (This involves bending way forward and drinking from the top of your mouth. This is also an excellent way to fill your nose with water.)
-Holding my breath and swallowing a big gulp of air. (This is a good way to burp and hiccup at the same time.)
-Drinking water through a paper towel. (This is a fine way of wasting a paper towel.)
-Kristin trying to scare me. (This didn't work because Kristin is far too cute to be scary.)

In the end, it was best to read Harry Potter and wait for the hiccups to leave of their own accord.

When I told my Dad about my bout with hiccups, he said that my uncle once had the hiccups for 4 days and had to go to the hospital. I'm glad I only heard about this after I was done. I imagine hiccups and panic attacks are a bad mix.

No comments: