Tuesday, August 31, 2004

So-So Day

Today started off poorly. Yesterday I did a delivery for a Medicare patient which required 20 odd pages of forms to be filled out and signed. I did this delivery on my way home, so I didn't give the paperwork to my boss until this morning, at which point I noticed the stack was only 3 pages high. Not good. So I took a new packet with me so I could make arrangements to meet with the family again so they could sign the missing pages.

Off to Sacramento. On my way there a dragonfly got stuck on my windshield wiper, and his tail exploded on my windshield. I don't know how many people have had dragonfly goo on their windows, but let me tell you, there's a lot of it. I mean, the portion of fly flapping around on the wiper blade was the size of a hummingbird, and there was still enough left to make it hard to see until I ran the window squirter.

Visibility taken care of, I went to pick up a large and heavy hospital bed. I found the bed, chose a door and exited. Unfortunately, I have no sense of direction inside buildings, and I chose the back door, not the front door, near which my van was parked. So I had to herd a rather ornery bed on casters for about a block, at one point only barely avoiding a collision with an SUV.

With the bed strapped safely into the van, I went to get my Medicare packet signed. The signing went smoothly, but when I got back to the van, I noticed my keys were on the dashboard and the doors were locked. What to do? Luckily, the back doors were unlocked. Unluckily, there is a perforated metal divider between the front seats and the rear of the van. But it turns out that I can just barely fit one arm and my head through the space between the divider and the door post. Attempt #1 to pull the handle and unlock the door was a failure. My arm wasn't long enough to reach. And, to add misery to defeat, there was a brief moment when I though I'd gotten my head stuck. After pushing back the panic, I moved my body a little higher and freed my head. Attempt #2 was a success, and involved my arm and head back through the space, but this time aided by a bungee cord in the role of handle hook.

All that brings us to 1pm, so I was understandably worried about the next 4-7 hours. (I'm never sure when I'll get off.) Thankfully the rest of the day was fine, and I type this unscathed but tired.

No comments: