Sunday, June 25, 2006

Pentadotted

My radiation hasn't started, but I did just go in for my simulation appointment. I'm not sure why they call it that. It's more like a mapping and drawing appointment.

I was under the impression that the simulation appointment would show me what a regular radiation appointment would be like, would tell me when and for how long my appointments would go on, and that I would have a firm idea of how the rest of my treatment would go. But no, that's not how doctors work.

In preparation for my simulation I went into the bathroom to put on the robe the nurse gave me. Since all this stuff is happening in my abdomen area I left my shirt on, took off my pants, and unfolded the robe. This robe, however, simply would not do. It turned out to be the shirt half only, and would have made my stay in the waiting room a little drafty. I'm just not comfortable in public wearing only black socks and a hospital robe halter top. So I put my pants back on and went to find a more suitable robe.

After a couple minutes a nurse and a doctor in training came to show me to my x-ray table. On the x-ray table they projected a grid of light on my abdomen and then drew on me with 3 or 4 colors of permanent marker, took 2 x-rays, and went off to consult the doctor. When they came back they were happy with their map of my innards so they made some permanent landmarks so the radiation people could radiate me with some measure of accuracy.

Yep, that's right, I got tattooed. I have 5 whole tattoos. I'm finally cool like Cate, except hers are quite a bit more ornate than mine are. Mine, boringly enough, are just little dots. Just a drop of ink and a poke with a needle in a 3 dot line an inch to the right of my bellybutton and a dot on each love handle. If you connected the dots you'd get a big sideways cross. Or if you used my moles and freckles you might get the Mona Lisa.

When I was leaving they told me they'd call me the next day to tell me when I'd have my month or so of treatments. When I called them two days later they said that they'd call me in a week or maybe a week and a half. When I asked how long my treatments would go the nurse told me it would be between 2 and 5 weeks. It's hard to pin doctors down on things.

4 comments:

Jootastic said...

You should totally try to play hard to get. It works with boys...why not doctors? Seriously, though, I'm so happy everything is going okay for you with this whole thing. I am keeping good thoughts for you.

Unknown said...

Maybe you can be a guest on the show Maimi Ink. Show off your sweet tats! Yeah! Rock on dude!

sightofstars said...

cool. maybe you can guest star in dan brown's new novel, The Da Vinci-Morse Code.

Michael said...

Oooh, yeah, I heard about that one. It's a historical thriller about how the Vatican tried to suppress the invention of the telephone using one of Da Vinci's flying machines. And at the end the villain has the hero trapped and is about to kill him but blows by giving the hero time to escape during a long winded explanation of his evil plan.