Sunday, June 11, 2006

Back

Well, not back really. It's not like I went someplace.

So here's the deal - the reason I haven't been writing: The day after my last post I found out I had testicular cancer. Then I had the right one* out on Friday. I'm fine now, though I need to undergo some radiation therapy just to be sure they got it all.

So for a while there all the stories I could think of were hospital related. And you can't very well tell a bunch of hospital stories without explaining why you were in the hospital. Well, maybe I could have, but not stories that involve attractive nurses coming in every hour or so to draw on my crotch with magic marker, or hearing an-only-barely-avoided shootout below my hospital window at 2am. Mattress delivery rarely involves either of those things.

Then, as non-hospital related stories came up, I felt like I couldn't just jump right in after 2 weeks with, "today I went to Arbuckle California and saw a coffee shop called Starbuckles Coffee." Or "Today I delivered a mattress to a guy named "Charlie Brown." I needed to explain my absence first. One can't follow a post about Arbuckle Coffee with a post about cancer. I think people who do that are called blog fouls.

Anyhow, I decided I should just write about it, then it'd be out there and I could talk about hospital stories or what ever else happened to be going on. I could even post another math joke if the mood struck. (Don't worry, I don't have one.)

So yeah, there it is. And I'm fine, so nobody worry. I wasn't using the right one anyhow. Really, for the other people I know who have had cancer, it was really a much more traumatic thing. I feel like my experience has been much more low-key. My experience was the medical equivalent of having a spider on your back, saying "Eek! Get it off!", and then not being able to lift anything heavy for 2 months. Ok, so the lifting thing doesn't fit with the metaphor, but you get the picture. The spider's gone, and on August 1st I'll be able to heave 72 lb boxes of gel mattress pad around just like I used to.


*As opposed to the left one. Not as opposed to the wrong one.

9 comments:

sightofstars said...

so glad you're back. i've missed reading your stuff. and i'm even more glad that you're ok.

when i get back, and after 8/1, maybe i'll have you come over and lift heavy things for me. just because.

Unknown said...

Of course I am glad that you are okay, but I am also glad that you have posted again.

I am glad my blog intervention was so successful.

But I really am so happy that you are going to be just fine.

In most families this would be followed with a hug or something, but let's just have an online hand shake.

Jootastic said...

wow. i'm so glad you're back. and a guy named "charlie brown?" that's cool. so do you get to do the staying at home thing while you recover? or will you have to work in an office until you can lift heavy stuff again?

Ginamonster said...

ho-lee crap. that's scary.

asyl076 said...

Wow, that's pretty substantial stuff. And here I just thought Norbert had come back and exacted her revenge.

So very glad you're okay.

Anonymous said...

Good luck -- I hope you recover quickly and thoroughly.

Rees said...

Wowzer! Not having even one testicle of my own, I don't know a thing about testicular cancer. Is it at all common in men so young?

I'm very glad you're OK and hope your recovery is full of cleansing rest and effective drugs.

Michael said...

I guess I'm right in the demographic for testicular cancer: White men between 15 and 40. (15+40)/2=27.5. My birthday is in October which makes me 27.5 years old.

Rees said...

Ah ha! It's the math getting back at you for the bad jokes! Math is a harsh mistress, my friend.