Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Sing It Child!

I’m surprised at how unabashed my neighbors are when their windows are open. I guess your apartment feels like someplace safe, someplace where no one will hear you scream … out Sweet Home Alabama at the top of your lungs. I do this too; I play the guitar and sing. But I also sing on the way from my car to my apartment, and in the store, and when someone is talking to me. As far as I can tell, no one else in my building sings in public. They restrict themselves to singing at top volume in their apartments with their windows open.

It’s really not private. I have to wonder: Do they know I can hear them? Gonzo and Bitch were singing a duet today. Gonzo sounds like a long time smoker with a Mexican accent version of Special Ed from Crank Yankers, and Bitch just sounds shrill.

Piranha Man is always singing to himself. He’ll really break into song if he’s been drinking. (I’m kind of assuming about the drinking here, but he kind of slurs and mumbles. Gonzo, oddly enough, sings when he’s sober. He fights with Bitch when he/they are drunk. Again with the assuming and the slurring.)

To further distance myself from my neighbors, I also want to point out that I restrict my public outbursts to music. Gonzo and Bitch loudly and physically argue with the windows open. Piranha Man comments on whatever he happens to be watching on TV, talks on the phone, and has even been known to diddle himself with not only the window open, but with the shades partway up. I tell you, seeing that was a most unpleasant way to start my day. I leave my shades down 24/7 now.

Have I ever explained who these people are? If not, I shall do so in the next post.

No comments: