Monday, January 15, 2007

Figuring Things Out

Two things, in fact.

The first thing, or things in this case, were two separate gas wall heaters. One wasn't working on Saturday, so I did a little trouble shooting, and found a loose connection. The second, on Sunday, needed its pilot light lit, so I figured out how to do that and got it running. How can I fix a gas wall heater? I don't know anything about gas heaters. I think I may be using somebody else's knowledge without their permission. Tomorrow I may uninstall a gps tracking unit from a company van. I don't know how to do that either.

I also don't know how to cut hair. Really. But after looking at my head in the mirror for 15 minutes tonight, I know how to not cut hair.

During my last haircut, before which I specifically asked that she not cut the sides too short, she cut the sides too short. The reason I got a haircut was that I was going to go out on a date, and on New Years Eve no less. And just before said date a friend told me it looked like I was wearing a wig. I decided I needed to make a hair change.

I asked for the top to be left a little long so it might cover my rather spacious forehead. A #3 on the sides and a long top can work, I think, if you know what you're doing. But this lady's blending technique involved making all my hair stick out sideways, then cutting a straight line from my ear on up. This would be fine if my hair stuck out sideways all day, but it doesn't. The top lays down and the sides, which are too short, stick out. The result, I'm happy to report, looks like I'm wearing a toupee*. At least I'm decreasing area of my hair that looks fake.



*Because of my spelling deficiencies I had to Google toupee to find out how it's spelled. If you Google toupee, the second site on the list is www.babytoupee.com, which is awesome.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike - So do tell - How was the date? - You can't just drop a hint of a date with no details

Michael said...

It was excellent, despite my haircut. The best New Years I've had in a very long time.

Anonymous said...

So have you gone out with her again or was it just a one night thing?

Michael said...

We've been out again, and it's going, um, I'm not sure. I'd vote for well, but it's not entirely up to me. So I'll go with a positive I don't know until further notice.