Friday, May 21, 2004

Zork and Drums

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. Or maybe it wasn't either. I guess what I'm saying here is that I got both good and bad news today.

The good: Kristin gave me a laptop that had been sitting around in the textiles room at SF State since sometime around 1987. I'm not sure if that's true, but that's the copyright date on the laptop’s manual. It's a Toshiba T1100 Plus, which according to the manual, is state of the art and ways under 10 pounds. It has 256KB of ram, and 2 3.5'' disk drives. Actually, I think my laptop circa 1999 weighs about the same as my new DOS beastie. I've been looking around on the internet for ZORK. I think I've found it, so I have to see if I can write to non-Double-Density disks. The T1100 Plus doesn't even have a hard drive. It's awesome.

The bad: Sanj, the drummer for SpiralKid, my band, has just gotten a job on the SETI project. One might remember SETI from the movie "Contact" staring Jodie Foster. Perhaps he'll go walking on a beach after falling through a huge alien produced machine, and a blurry representation of his father will tell him he should come back and play drums for us so we can finally play show. Was that reference too much of a long-shot?

What will become of SpiralKid? Will ZORK run? Do I have the latest version of DOS? Can a blog get dorkier than this one has become? All this and more will be revealed in the coming installments of

...

Don't Read This, It's Not Good

No comments: