Sunday, February 13, 2005

The Date

Not so good. Not terrible, just not great.

Since I had some vague idea what to expect with Thai food, we went to a Thai place for dinner. During dinner we had some halting and uncomfortable conversation.

During the drive to pick her up I made a mental list of all the conversation topics I could think of: School, music, jewelry making, where we hail from, etcetera. Unfortunately we exhausted all my prepackaged conversation questions on the way to the restaurant.

Part way through dinner I started to think, "This is going poorly, but that's ok, it's only dinner. I can go home and do laundry after this." But as we stepped outside she said, "So what do you want to do now? Want to catch a movie?"

I thought, "Um, er. Not really."
I said, "Um, er. Sure."

In the immortal words of Oklahoma, "I'm just a girl who can't say no." Or something like that.

So we went to see A Very Long Engagement. Which was a very long movie starting Audrey Tautou. The highlight of the movie was seeing Audrey Tautou's butt, and the lowlight of the movie was the rest of the movie. It had a ton of characters who switched identities from time to time, and I'm not good with names, especially when I'm reading them from subtitles. It was also surprisingly gory. I read a review (which I remembered after I saw the movie) that summarized it well. He called it Amelie Goes to War. That about sums it up, except that it's less funny and cute and a lot more bloody.

So much for that. I'm meeting someone else tonight at a bar to see a band, but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: