Monday, March 06, 2006

One Awsome Monday

I should probably be making phone calls or sending emails or something, but I'm just not in the mood.

I started out my day driving alllll the way to Fairfield to do a pickup. When I got there a service call came in for Suisun City, which is right around the corner. Perfect, I thought. Unfortunately the people weren't going to be there for me to fix the mattress for another 3 hours, so I drove the 50 miles back to San Rafael.

10 minutes from the Depot, the people called back and said I could come right now if I wanted. I told them it was too late and that I'd have to come back at 1. I did and I fixed their mattress.

On the way back to the depot for a second time, I came down 80 to 37 through Vallejo, and then down 101 to San Rafael. 5 minutes from the depot I got a service call to Vallejo. I called the lady to try to figure out what the problem was in hopes of not having to actually drive all the way back:

Lady: We havin' trouble with grandma's bed.
Me: What's the problem?
Lady: It don't work.
Me: What doesn't work? The whole thing?
Lady: The head don't go up and down.
Me: Just the head? Do the rest of the buttons work?
Lady: It don't work.
Me: Is it plugged in?
Lady: Of course it plugged in. It don't work.

I gave up and told her I would be there at 4:45.

I pulled up to the house with some of the most likely parts in hand. On my approach to the front door I had to weave through 5 dead cars and slog through some deep, wet, muddy grass, to get to the rickety wooden wheel chair ramp.

When they answered the door I was greeted with a little, tiny, grungy room filled with two kids doing homework on the noticeably filthy floor, a blind old woman with no visible pupils screaming incoherently from a wheelchair (I'm assuming this was grandma), and a guy watching TV on the couch. The heat was on and the fireplace held a raging fire so it was roughly 1,000,000 degrees, and the TV was on loud enough to be easily heard over grandma's rampage.

I went into an even filthier back room where I discovered that they guy who had delivered the bed hadn't specified which kind it was and I had brought the wrong parts. Not that the right parts would have helped as the frame was severely bent out of shape. I don't even know how one would bend a frame like that, but these people seem to have solved that particular challenge.

Luckily there's a possibility I won't have to go back tomorrow. Instead I have to find a place to park in the heart of China Town and drag 250 pounds of bed frame up to some section 8 housing. I'm psyched. If I play my cards right maybe I can do both. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments: