Thursday, October 28, 2004

Striving for Freedom

Shortly after I arrived at Napa Nursing, a patient in a wheelchair informed me that I was wasting my time walking everywhere, and that wheelchairs were the way to travel. I've always thought wheelchairs looked like fun. I do like both wheels and sitting, but I think I'd like the option of walking around from time to time. There are a number of situations where stairs would come between me and my goals.

During the hour I was setting up a bed at Napa Nursing, four patients tried to make their escape. Not together, but one by one. The first was escaping just as I arrived, two made a break for it while I was in the depths of the facility, and one tried to sneak out while I was leaving. Apparently they have little radio tags on everybody and then they get too close to the door, an alarm goes off.

It seems like it's going to be tough getting old. You can't move very well, you may or may not know what's going on, and when you find a door, sometimes an alarm goes off and scares the pants off you. (Which is kind of misleading as most of the patients I'm delivering beds to aren't wearing any pants.)

No comments: