Friday, October 01, 2004

Shaky Start

This morning seemed like a good morning. It's payday, and I had a date tomorrow. All good ways to start a day. But then the evil of email reared its ugly head.

On Monday we start a new system where we call a 1-800 number to clock in and out at work. So the person in charge of this sent a message to all us bazillion techs in the US that we should pick a pass code and send it to her so she can set up our accounts. So I did, and sent it back... or so I thought. What I actually did, was send my pass code to EVERYONE IN THE COMPANY. So, within 30 seconds of pressing send, I got the beginning of what was probably 50 messages: all variations of "you sent your pass code to everyone, stupid." I am currently not speaking to the "Reply to All" button on my pager. Unfortunately I don't have anything it wants, so I don't have a lot of sway over it. On the bright side, someone else did the same thing 6 hours later. So that made me happy.

To top off the morning, just before my first delivery, I got an email canceling my date. I hate when people flake. It drives me nuts. It's partially why I hate planning things: because people either don't respond or do respond and don't show up. I invited 15 people to go to a concert recently, and I got 2 responses. 2, and both said no. I complain that I don't have any friends, and people poo poo me. So what I should say, is that I do have friends, it's just that they don't want to hang out with me. There, that's better. I invited the same number of people to a free comedy show, for which I had 10 tickets. 15 people for only 10 tickets? Was I crazy? Now I understand why airlines overbook. I only managed to get 5 people to go to that, and 3 of them were invited by somebody else.

I think this is why, for my birthday, I'm going to see an 80s cover band/going dancing. I'm not a big fan of either of those things, but it does mean it will be my birthday, and there will be people I know hanging around me. Never mind that the two aren't really related.

Good parts of today:
* I got home at a reasonable hour.
* I went to Arby ' s for lunch, and had a jamoca shake.

And so, another depressing post draws to a close.

No comments: