Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Great Equalizer

A week and a day ago I went to see Muse at Freeborn Hall at U.C. Davis. I went with two friends from school, and a good time was had by all; especially the people frisking us concert-goers. It was of the utmost importance that we not bring in any ... cameras. I had a pocket knife on my keychain, and a little plastic baggie with earplugs in it. He didn't care about the pocket knife, and he didn't look to see what was in my baggie. But he made the guy before me go put his camera in his car.

Inside Freeborn was about half standing room and half stadium seating. Since I'll be 26 in 3 weeks, I chose the front row of stadium seating. Turns out it was a good place to be, because I could see the large, bright, yellow, and orange cable cover.

Since the mixing board is in the middle of the floor, they had to run all the cables halfway across the standing room section of the hall. Since they don't want people yanking them, nor tripping, they made a cover which was bright and shiny and easy to see, even in the dark. Unfortunately, nobody looks down. So EVERYBODY tripped on it. The goths, the nerds, the jocks, the hardcore people. Everybody.

Actually, I noticed that the tougher or cooler people were trying to look, the more likely it was that they would trip. Cool and tough people are looking at other people, not where they are going, which sometimes, is down.

No comments: