Friday, September 10, 2004

Observations on a Friday

First off, I seem to be attractive to VERY old women in nursing homes. A little old lady whose bed I was setting up asked me to help her look up a phone number. A nurse came in I handed the task off to her. When I started setting up the bed she realized I wasn't part of the nursing home staff and said, "I thought you were too good looking to work here." Creepy but nice.

Families of the recently deceased are surprisingly cheery. They seem tired, which is expected. But they are all smiles and small talk when I come get the mattress. I guess our mattresses are mostly used for people who have been sick for a while, so the family has had some time to prepare. Even so, I thought there would be more moping.

I'm not as un-photogenic nor as illiterate as I thought I was. Call me paranoid, but after two, 2!, full days of not hearing anything back from the two yahoo personal emails I sent, I was beginning to think I would go another 3 years with no girlfriend. (There is historical president for the 3 years dry spell.) That could still happen, but that time will at least be broken up by a date next Monday with the maybe-Goth* girl. Turns out she works for a Bio-Tech company and went to U.C. Davis, so she's probably not too Goth*. As long as I can manage to go an evening without saying anything too gross or stupid, it should go ok. Then again I've been exposed to a lot of dead people mattress jokes of late, and my filter has never worked that well.

Any gems of wisdom?

*My spellchecker insists that Goth* should be capitalized. Is Goth* a proper name? A forgotten but non-the-less important figure from history?

No comments: