Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Amazon Dot Rub It In

While trying to figure out if my sister's birthday present ever made it out of the void that is the Amazon.com warehouse, I clicked on my gold box offers. Gold box offers, for those of you who don't know, are things Amazon thinks you might like to have which have been bless with a special, minute gold box discount for 60 minutes. You have 10 things to choose from, each choice revealed after you've cast away the previous choice forever. As I was clicking through my offers, Amazon showed me no less than 4 books about having and/or getting a girlfriend. Apparently the online shopping community has taken it upon itself to pressure me into giving them grandkids.

In completely unrelated, but still irritating news, on my way home from work I was trying to turn left across a fairly busy street. Both my lane and the lane to my right are left turn friendly, and the car to my right was a very nicely restored yellow roadster. As we both took our lefts a guy started out crossing the street and stopped right in front of my van to watch the roadster go by in front of him. After he admiringly watched it drive off down the street he looked over at me as if we might share a common bond about seeing the great car drive by. We had no bond. When he noticed that I was not sharing in his celebration of automotive aesthetics and was instead looking mightily irritated that he had left me sticking out in traffic, he hustled the rest of the way across the street, only narrowly avoiding me honking at him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

His sister did receive her birthday present and is very excited. She wants to thank her brother again. Thank you Mike!