Friday, February 10, 2006

Shoe String Budget

I have some old Adidas Sambas that I wear to work. The leather is getting cracked and worn and the soles have no traction, but I still like to wear them. I'd get a new pair except you can't find them anyplace. (eBay has a pair once in a while but they are waaay too much.)

I was thinking of retiring them because one of the stripes on the right shoe was starting to let go and stuck out like a little wing from the side of my foot. This fact often goes noticed* and many a stranger has pointed out that maybe it's time for new shoes. It's just that I don't want to spend money on shoes which are going to go slogging through pee-smelling trailer park carpets.

So, being my mother's son, I've sewn the stripe back on to my shoe. It was really hard to push the needle through 2 layers of shoe leather, but I persevered and a half hour and some perforated fingers later my shoes are as good as new. Or at least as good as they were before one decided to grow a wing.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to the Tenderloin to pick up a bed frame. Yet another example of a neighborhood where one doesn't want to wear new shoes.

* As opposed to going unnoticed. I was thinking of saying does not go unnoticed but I am trying to stay more positive lately.

No comments: