Wednesday, April 13, 2005

(Boring) Itty Bits

I'm training a new guy at work which involves a lot of driving around with him. It turns out we have very little to talk about. He's a nice guy, but we can't seem to fill much more than 5% of our time with talking. I actually listened to a baseball game on the radio yesterday because I felt bad for making so little noise.

The new guy and I delivered a mattress today to a really nice old lady who lives all by herself in a HUGE house in San Francisco. It's kind of sad really. She mostly stays in a little hospital bed in a little room in back. The only time she's out of bed is when her mattress gets a hole in it and I have to come replace it, which is more often than you might think. (I'm starting to suspect that she has spines or thorns or something.) Anyhow, she was grateful to us for coming out to fix her mattress, so she decided to become a stereotype and opened a big tin of hard candy. She then closed the tin of hard candy, and vigorously shook it to try to break a few pieces off from the solid candy-mass. Some broke free and we each took a piece. Then I finished up the paperwork, left the house, and we both immediately threw our candy in the trash. I try to be polite, but I'm not a big fan of amputated candy.

All restaurant chairs are exactly the same and it's starting to freak me out. A Subway in Santa Rosa, a little place in Albuquerque, The Olive Garden in San Francisco, and countless other eateries all have chairs of the same design. Seat material and finishes come in several varieties, but they are all, in essence, exactly the same chair. Maybe I'll try to take pictures. Or invest in the company that makes them.

They're everywhere I tell you. Everywhere.

No comments: