Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Flight of the Bajaj Legend

I've done it. I got my permit, I bought my insurance, I purchased my scooter, and yesterday I picked it up. You are currently reading the typings of one happy guy.

After the San Francisco Scooter Center closed, Barry, the owner, loaded me onto the back of my scooter and we drove to Pac Bell Park so I could putter around in the parking lot without fear of getting hit by a truck. Alas, there had been a game earlier in the day, so there were still a few cars in the lot, and what pavement wasn't covered by cars was covered by glass beer bottles. Does nobody take canned beer to games?

In addition to contending with parked cars (not a big deal) and beer bottles, both broken and not (sort of a big deal as they tend to sneak up you), I also had to avoid being run down by the mini dirt-bike stunt rider brigade. There were 4 or 5 guys and 1 girl riding around on little tiny dirt bikes perfecting their wheelies and doughnuts. They also very much enjoyed zooming down to the minute square of parking lot I was using to figure out where the friction point on my clutch is, and scaring the crap out of me. But after a little less than an hour, I was more comfortable with making my scooter go, stop, and turn corners and was ready to get out on the open road. (That and it was getting dark, and I'm not aloud to ride after dark until I get a real license.)

I became a passenger for the second time on the way back to the shop, then switched back to driver for my trip home. Barry followed me home on his own scooter to make sure I didn't immediately fall off and die. It was very thoughtful.

All in all, I'm thoroughly happy with buying my scooter from SF Scooter Center. And apart from the fact that my right blinker doesn't work (which I plan to get fixed on Saturday), I'm very happy with my scooter.

Which is not to say that I don't need more practice. Tonight I took my maiden voyage (by maiden I mean leaving from and returning to my house) to Trader Joe's. I only made 3 mistakes. Not bad for only my second time on a scooter.

1) I took a turn waaaay too wide, but on an empty street. No cars no foul.
2) At a stop sign with cars on all sides, when my turn came I killed the engine. Everyone else took their turn, and then I tried again, this time successfully.
3) This was the most exciting mistake. The ramp into the parking lot at TJ's is at a slight incline. I had forgotten this, and probably should have entered through the other side since I hadn't practiced starting on a hill yet. None the less, 2 small wheelies later, I made it into the parking lot followed by the frightened eyes of the car at which I had inadvertently aimed my wheelies. Apparently the Bajaj is not without its fair share of pep.

Anyone who would like to more accurately picture my scooting can see what a silver Bajaj Legend looks like here.

No comments: