Monday, April 18, 2005

Not About Jury Duty

In lieu of a long post about jury duty, here's a short post about open mic:

It had been quite a while since I last played at open mic, and I was hoping to come back with something interesting, namely a song I wrote called Ordinary, where I use the words transubstantiate and elucidate (without rhyming them), and a cover of Criminal, by Fiona Apple. Both of the songs are available on my songs page, though the live version of Ordinary is better but the recording of Criminal is MUCH, MUCH better.

I tried to start Criminal with the signature bass riff, and failed. Then I completely stopped and started over. This time I just played it badly. Then, about a quarter of the way through the song, the part of my brain in charge of remembering chords went on vacation. Generally the rule is to keep playing and no one will notice, but I chose a different route. In the middle of my screw-up I said, "Ugh!" I'm currently fighting the urge to curl up in a fetal position under my bed.

On the brighter side I saw a friend from school I hadn't seen in since graduation. Also, there was an excellent duo with a 4-string guitar and a snare drum who covered Stuck in the Middle with You.

And now, since it's 11pm, I think it's high time I get into bed and bask in the embarrassment of thoroughly screwing up a song in front of 25 people.

No comments: