Thursday, November 10, 2005

Decisions, Decisions

As I mentioned in verse, Norbert is driving me nuts. It's not like this is news to anyone. I've often complained that she bites me a lot, and that she scratches me to a lesser extent. But I think I'm getting to the point where I'm weighing the costs and benefits, and the benefits are nearly microscopic.

1.38% of my time is spent in quality cat snuggle time on a good day. 45 seconds or so is right when I get home from work, and the other 15 minutes is at about 10:30 (a half hour after I would rather be asleep) when she flops down on my face and likes to be scratched.

She spends 10 hours alone on the best of days. And that's 10 when I'm physically not there. She spends another 7ish with me there but asleep. (Minus a minute here and there where I wake up suddenly and pry her claws off my leg.) All that alone time can't be fun for her and it probably leads to her being a pain in the ass when I am actually home.

During those 17 hours where she can set her own priorities she likes to do a number of things: Throw things on the floor, shred paper products, spread kitty litter everywhere (on the couch, on my bed, under my bed, under my covers), splash around in her water dish and get cat prints everywhere.

So I feel bad for her and I feel bad for me. It was really nice of my friend to bring me a kitten, but I'm thinking that I'm just not ready to be a dad. I need to ask my friend in LA if I can give her back.

Failing that, does anyone want an indoor cat? I'm sure she'd be happier with other cat friends, or with somebody who was home more often. Or somebody who lived in a wading pool. Seriously, I've never met a cat that so enjoyed getting wet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My cat Stinker is the same way. She never lets me pet her, she hates to be held and hates to snuggle. I got her in hopes of having a kitty to love all over. She is the opposite of everything I wanted in a cat. Stinker is over a year old. She is picky and choosy about when she wants to be loved. She does sleep right next to my face though, but I think that is cause I keep her warm. Don't get rid of your kitty. She is still young and will grow out of it. My cat is exactly the same as yours. They are cats, they act up sometimes, and her name is Norbert. Cats take on their names just like people do, she was bound to be a little nuts. You'll regret getting rid of her, she is entertainment.