Friday, November 04, 2005

Good Friday

But not in the religious sense.

I started off my day with the pick-up of an in-home bed frame. Retrieving a bed frame does not a good day make, but the context surrounding the pick-up made it worth while.

As I was taking apart the frame the little Filipina caregiver lady fired questions at me and her 20ish year old niece wandered around trying to look busy. Why does this other bed only have 2 wheel locks? Why is the mattress so heavy? Do I need help loading the van? Why is the foam mattress not a rental? Why doesn't the other company come get their wheelchair? Am I married?

Whoa there.

Me: No.
Caregiver: But you have a girlfriend?
Me: No, not at the moment.
CG: Well, if you are looking, Melina [her niece] is available.
Melina (looking joyfully embarrassed): Oh stop!
CG: I'm just saying to her, if you are looking for a boyfriend you just wait until Michael gets here. He is a fine looking boy.
Melina: Auntie!

Unsure of what to do I smiled and continued loading the bed frame into my van. When I was done both of them made a point of saying individual goodbyes.

It’s not that Melina was undatable or anything, but that’s not really how I work. Generally I work on the internet. Does anyone work like that? Here, date my daughter. Ok, thanks. Weird.

Then on my way home at the end of the day I stopped for gas and some cinnamon bears. I discovered upon my first bite that they were fresh off the bear vine. Or out of the bear extruder. Whatever. They had just recently come from wherever it is that cinnamon bears come from. Mmmm, fresh bears.

No comments: