Sunday, November 20, 2005

Flea Market

I've found that I really enjoy flea markets. For whatever reason I like to look through everybody else's weird crap. And it turns out that every Sunday there's a flea market not too far from my house which has all the weird crap you could ever want, and some you would never want.

Among the things that I did want where a number of interesting and ornate lighters, a gold encrusted rotary dial phone a 3 foot tall golden pedestal ($50), a grinder, a little tiny cordless skill-saw, and any number of weird old electronics of questionable functionality. My favorite of those was a vacuum tube tester. If I lived in a bigger place and had lots of money my house would be covered floor to ceiling in that stuff.

I did purchase two lighters, one of which is the tiniest lighter I've ever seen.



After I clipped off a piece of flint from one of my Zippos, fiddled with the wick, and refilled the reservoir it lit right up. It's so cute.



The weirdest thing I saw for sale was a Nazi arm band. I have to wonder about that. Who would sell Nazi things at a flea market? I mean, I think it's kind of weird to sell Nazi things at all, but at a flea market? I picture flea market Nazi arm bands being made out of felt on somebody's RV kitchen table the night before. Disturbing.

No comments: