Monday, November 14, 2005

What Now?

I'm still encumbered by my Norbert problem. (Problemo de Norbert) The advice I've received has ranged from, "yeah, it's probably best to give her away" to "you need two cats." Either one might fix my situation, both could make it worse.

I took Friday off, and all weekend Norbert and I had a good time. She slept on my chest on no less than 4 occasions, and flopped on my nose a time or too as well. She even started responding to "no!" Could it be that she had been taking English classes? Could she have finally grown out of being a turd?

No. As I type this I have 3 fresh scratches on my right shoulder, 2 fairly deep scratches between my shoulder blades, and kind of a welt thing on my wrist. Norbert has made zero progress. I think she was just happy to have somebody around all day.

This theory lends credence to the 2 cat theory of apartment wellbeing. Unfortunately my apartment is very small. Also, the SFSPCA requires proof that I can have a pet which would require me to ask my landlady to write me a letter saying that pets are ok. She's not big on putting things in writing, so adoption is out. And regardless of how I obtained a second cat, I need some sort or return policy so I have an out if it turns out that I just doubled my problem.

To top it all off, I haven't heard from the friend that gave Norbert to me in the first place. And I think it would be difficult to give her to somebody outside Northern California. So I think my best bet at this point would be to try out the re-homing program at the SFSPCA, assuming Norbert passes the behavior test which is a great big if.

Does your cat have any behavioral quarks?
Aside from:
-splashing water everywhere
-scratching
-biting
-shooting kitty litter outside the confines of a fully enclosed litter box
-trying to claw me under the covers while I sleep

No. She's a dream cat.

I will give her this - she has truly changed my life. Here is one telling example:

I used to wash my sheets once every, oh, say, 2-6 months. I know, gross. But since I was the only one sleeping in them it didn't matter that much. Now I wash my sheets once a week. Why have I so drastically upped the frequency? It takes 5 or 6 days for the combination of bloodspots and kitty litter to get really annoying, and I do my laundry on Sundays.

No comments: