Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Blatant

I was reading in Newsweek about the influx of gay-themed books to bookstores. As a for instance, there's one about these two male penguins who hatched a baby penguin which was apparently based on a true story. But my favorite title of one such book, a title that just screams its subject matter to me is "You're Different and That's Super." I don't often laugh out loud at Newsweek, but that made me do it.

Where to Live?

I'm looking for apartments here in the lovely and cost effective Bay Area. I've discovered that no matter what I do, I'll probably have to get rid of somewhere between quite a bit and all of my stuff. I looked at one apartment on Saturday which would have amounted to living in a box with a gourmet kitchen attached. That one was $700 and included all utilities. I looked at a much nicer one in San Rafael this afternoon which was $780, much bigger, had a me-sized kitchen, but included no utilities, which I think might kill me. Then again, it reduces my commute to 5 minutes down from a respectable 45. I'm not sure I like this apartment hunting thing. And I'm positive I don't like the moving thing. What I really need is for someone to not live in my current place and pay the other half of the rent and utilities. Does anybody know of any well-to-do non-existent roommates?

I'm also amazed at the number of truly strange places available. I've seen 2 listings of 2 bedroom apartments with no kitchens. One of them was also furnished. There are quite a few others which are basically dorms: Rooms which allow NO COOKING and share a bathroom with 8 other rooms. Eww.

I have high hopes for one that I'm going to see on Saturday which includes everything but the phone line, has a bedroom and a living room/kitchen thingy, and is $850 a month. People who don't live in New York will think I'm nuts, but $850 a month for a real live one bedroom is fairly cheap, especially one with all those included utilities. The catch, of course, is that according to the picture on the ad, you have to exit the apartment to use the bathroom. However, I think it's a private bathroom, so I don't mind communing with nature a bit when nature calls. I figure it's only fair.

No comments: