Thursday, May 12, 2005

Time for a New Place

I think we've used up our apartment. First time commenters, long time readers will know I accidentally put my hand through the bathroom tile in my shower not too long ago. There have been other things: A broken burner (which I fixed by scavenging parts from another oven downstairs), a loose toilet seat (which I fixed by getting parts from the hardware store after a replacement of our toilet via the landlord yielded the same loose seat and a low flow flush), and a clogged drain in the fire-escape landing (which I subverted by making a siphon which led into the drain in the garage.) My landlord eventually fixed the fire-escape landing drain, but not for weeks.

Now, a little more than a month before we'll be gone, our poor little bathroom fan has died. For a year or two it has been making loud rattley, growly noises. Imagine sitting on the toilet, reading a book, inside the exhaust system of an accelerating semi. Then, two days ago it started making chirping noises and taking time to get up to speed. Finally, last night I flipped both bathroom switches and sat on the toilet. It slowly occurred to me that the bathroom was awfully quiet apart from a curious hum. I have to say that a hum is much better than its usual noise, but I was kind of partial to the fan's ventilation efforts.

We shall miss you apartment. You kept us dry and not as cold as we would have been living in a box.

No comments: