Thursday, May 26, 2005

Tres Cosas

Uno) Today I sold my Peavey PA to a very small man who wanted to send it to a little church someplace in South America. He paid me exactly what I paid the guy I bought it from, which was nice for me. Also nice for me was the experience of feeling like a giant. He can't have been more than about 4'7". It's not often that I feel sizeable. Most of the time I go around feeling fairly average.

Dos) Now that I'm coming up on Tuesday, the day I get the keys to my new digs*, I'm getting a little antsy to start moving. I have quite a few of my non-essentials packed, and I'm almost through selling stuff. You'd think I'd have enough room to put neatly stacked boxes someplace, but that's simply not true. The more I pack the less room I have. I'm a little worried that I'm creating matter and the physics police are going to come throw me in jail.

Tres) I think I'm entirely callused at this point from my job. Today I had these brief phone conversations:

Me: Hi, I'm calling from [my company]. I have a gel mattress pad for a Mr. Miller.
Lady: You're too late.
Me: Um. Too late?
Lady: Yes, too late. Mr. Miller died a week and a half ago.
Me: Oh. OK then. Sorry to bother you.

Me: I'm heading back. Mr. Miller died a week and a half ago.
My Supervisor: Well fine then. No gel for him.
Me: Indeed.

Later, back at the depot, I heard my supervisor on the phone laugh and then say, "let's not make fun of the dead."

Even callused as I am, I'm still not looking forward to Tuesday.

* Did I mention that the landlord of my new digs requires that I pay my rent in cash every month? $765 takes 3 ATM trips. That's a lot of trips. And I have no lease and filled out no application. Odd.

No comments: