Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Asses, You, And I

So I haven't actually gone out on a date with the nurse yet, but we have talked on the phone some. The problem is that she lives really far away and our schedules don't line up that well.

Normally I don't like talking to people I don't know very well on the phone. There are long silences, which are almost always my fault, and the person on the other end invariably asks if I'm still there. Yep, I say, and we lapse into another long silence.

But I seem to be able to talk to the nurse without too many occasions where she thinks I may have hung up, and here's why I think that is: I know she likes me. Even though it was right out of middle school, she asked my coworker to ask me if I liked her. And with that I knew that she liked me, and it seems to have given me sooo much more confidence.

I suppose that guys who are good with girls just assume* that a girl is going to find them attractive or like them or something. And I just don't work that way. Usually I assume that I'm coming off as creepy.** So hopefully this confidence will last long enough so we can actually go out on a date.

And that, I'm afraid, is the end of the regular portion of this extremely boring post.

* Until just recently I thought the saying went, "assuming makes and ass out of you and I." It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, apart for the ass bit. When I realized that it was supposed to be "assuming makes an ass out of you and me" it made me realize that I can add accurate recitations of aphorisms to my list of stuff at which I suck. The list also includes spelling, basketball, catching things next to my head on my left side, geography, and neatly wrapping gifts. (I can, however, wrap a gift so unattractively that I can take pride in the final result.)

** I am really good at just standing slightly away from groups and not saying anything. This makes me a big hit at parties. But my finest hour was at a Halloween party last year when I came dressed as the grim reaper. I guess if I'm are going to stand by myself in the corner and not talk to anyone, I might as well be dressed as Death. (End notes don't usually have pictures, but this one does. As Oppenheimer once said, "I am become death, shatterer of the rules of end notes having pictures.")

No comments: