Thursday, September 22, 2005

A Big Day for All

This week I haven't been posting much because my supervisor is on vacation and I'm filling in for him. We haven't been super busy, but we have been one driver short, that driver being me. I've been getting up earlier and being overwhelmed all day, so when I get home I've just been reading other people blogs, getting my toes chewed on, and going to bed.

But today was a big day. Today the Head of the Service Department and the VP of American Operations came to my humble depot. I was a little worried about the visit because I'm not usually in charge, but since I am this week, it fell entirely onto my shoulders to have things under control when they showed up. Luckily the tension was broken when I got a look at the VP. He was mostly VP looking with the exception that the front of his shirt had come up just a smidgen as if he'd just finished a big stretch. With his shirt arranged thusly I could see that he was not wearing an undershirt and that he had a mediumly hairy belly. From that point on I felt a little less nervous with the peace of mind that my trusty polo shirt was never going to subject me to the embarrassment of tummy peekage through the treachery of buttons.*

The visit was actually a little strange because I think they thought we might need more help with stuff. After they wandered around and looked at the depot we went to lunch. After lunch they asked if I needed more in depth training on anything and when I couldn't think of anything they said everything seemed to be in good shape and left. So I guess it went well.

My day continued on its path to glory when I went to check on a serial number at the rehabilitation hospital where my Nurse works.

I should put in an aside here about my ability to ask girls out. Whenever I've decided to ask someone out it always goes poorly, or more accurately, it doesn't go. I decided to ask this girl I had been talking to on the bus on the way to class - she stopped riding the bus. I decided to ask out a girl in my physics class 3 weeks before the end of the quarter - she dropped the class. I decided to ask out a girl who kept sitting near me in my poetry class - she stopped sitting near me and left class each day so fast that poems would flutter out the door after her. So when I decided to ask out the Nurse I wasn't at all surprised when I didn't see her for 2 weeks. So I decided to defeat the universe and send my phone number along with another rental tech to give to her. He did. She didn't call.

Back to today. I went into the hospital to check on the serial number and there she was. So I asked for her number, and low and behold, she gave it to me. And I was planning on calling her tonight, but a number of factors have led to me chickening out.

1) By the time I got home, ate, and finished talking to my friend in Ohio, it was 8:30pm and she gets up at 4 or 5 to work the early shift. (I think.)
2) Calling girls scares me.
3) I have to go sit in my car to talk on my cell phone. (My regular phone doesn't have long distance and my apartment and Verizon are not bosom buddies.)

So I'll have to call her tomorrow.

The other person having a big day today is Norbert, and is therefore not a person. She learned two new tricks while I was at work.

1) When I'm sitting on the toilet she likes to reach out a paw and stab my butt. She knows I can't move and she likes the sense of power this gives her.
2) She knows how to hang up the phone. While I was talking to Jeremy she propped herself up to phone height, stuck out a paw, and placed it gingerly and accurately on the phone cradle effectively ending my call from Ohio. It was so deliberate I just can't believe that it was just dumb luck.

Now if I can just get through tomorrow, call my Nurse, and not have any mattress emergencies come up on this, my on-call weekend, I'll be all set. I'm going to have to sit down and have a serious talk with myself about having managed to schedule myself to be on-call after a week of being in charge.

*This unnecessarily flowery sentence has been brought to you by the fact that the VPoAO is English.

No comments: