Monday, October 31, 2005

How To Make Friends and Impress Women

This is the second year I've dressed as the Grim Reaper for Halloween, and people seem to be genuinely disconcerted by the costume, or maybe by me in the costume.

I suppose if one were to be a jolly, dancing, reveler style reaper, other party goers might embrace one. But as a reaper, as I am in real life, in a quiet, shy, stand in the corner and don't talk to anyone sort of guy. So in reaper garb I just come off as creepy.

I was fully aware of this last year, but last year I only went to one party, and I only knew 1 person at that party. So I really did just stand around for an hour not really talking to anyone, hooded and holding a scythe.

This year I went to a party with several people I know, and I talked to several of them. And I didn't just stand around the whole time. There were several occasions where I ate some nacho dip. It was delicious.

And yet even with all this "normal party behavior" (talking to people and eating nachos) I still got such welcoming comments as, "yikes, nobody likes to see you" and "are you TRYING to creep people out?!"

I did, however, come across a pair of people who said, "Oh, we've seen you all over the place tonight."

"Me specifically?" I asked.

"No, but people like you."

"Ah, well don't be fooled by imposters. There's only one Grim Reaper." I cautioned.

"Well he's probably not you then." They explained. "Grim Reapers don't smile."


Here's a picture of creepy old me.


And an acquaintance of mine wins the award for the most disturbing costume.


Yeah, it stretches.

No comments: