Thursday, August 25, 2005

Memories

While I was driving home today I was listing to All Things Considered on NPR. During the show they had one of their commentary things where a guy came on and talked about his summer long ago when he worked at a shaved-ice stand. He related how this girl came by the stand every day for 2 weeks and always got a tootie fruity flavored ice.

His story reminded me of the summer after my freshman year of college when I would get lunch at this teriyaki place every day. There was a very cute girl who worked there and I kept trying to get up the nerve to ask her out. One day, (a day when I had brought my lunch) I worked up the nerve. I walked up to the counter and said, "can I have a small drink and your phone number?"

She paused and said, "I have a boyfriend."

"Oh," I said. "Just the small drink then." And I gave her a $10 bill.

I took my drink, sat outside, and ate my lunch in shame, not returning to the teriyaki place to refill my drink, or for the rest of the summer.

To add insult to injury, when I got back to my desk that day I realized that she had only given me $3 in change. $7 is a but much for a small drink.

I'm proud to say that I still physically flinch when I remember that story. That story is an excellent example of one of the many reasons I prefer online dating.

No comments: