Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Finally Back

I seem to have finally emerged from holiday mode, which consists entirely of working, packing, shopping, or hanging out with family. All of those things are fine and dandy, but they don't leave much time for things like TV, email, phone calls, or blogging. They also, ironically*, don't leave much time for thank-you notes. But since the holidays are over, and the thank-you notes are ready to be mailed, I'm ready to get back into gear.

And while I planned to write about driving around and redistributing mattresses in the great California rains of ought 5, doing the dishes used up my evening. So I'm just going to write about Wendy's.

I had a craving for ground beef today. Wendy's seemed like the natural lunch choice, so I pulled through the drive through and ordered a #2 with a lemonade with no ice. Then I pulled up to the window, handed the guy my $5.58, and put my hand out for my food. He handed me a bag and closed the window.

I knocked on the window and asked if I could have my drink too. He said he was sorry and handed me the drink saying, "Sprite**, right?" Sure, whatever. I took my food and pulled out of the lot, and while I waited for a break in traffic I fished around for a french-fry. No luck.

I drove around the block, parked, and walked into the restaurant to ask for my fries, which they unquestioningly gave me. They must have known that the guy at the drive through was an idiot who often gives people 1/3 of their order. I should have said that he forgot to give me my fries, frosty, and $40 gift certificate.

*I never feel totally comfortable using the word ironic. But it seems like that sentence had a reasonable chance of being correct.

**It was indeed lemonade.

No comments: