Sunday, January 22, 2006

Stupid Phone People

I'm currently on the phone with the slowest, most uninformed phone survey guy ever. He keeps asking stuff like, "Which of the following best describes your internet access?" ... ... "hello?"

"Are there options?"

"Yes."

"What are they?"

He did that to me 4 times during the call. If the question starts out with "which of the following" then you have to read me the things that follow.

Then after we had established the fact that I make long distance calls from my cell phone, and that I live alone he asked how many people in my household make long distance calls. Hmmmm. Let me go around the room and count. One. Yep, just me.

"So one then?"

"Um, ... yeah."

"Which of the following best describes your household income? ... ... ... hello?"

"What are the options?"

"Below fifteen thousand? Fifteen thousand to twenty-five hundred? Twenty-five hundred to thirty-five hundred? ..."

Hmm. The incomes ranges went up for a second and then came back down again. I guess when he says hundred he means thousand.

When asked why I canceled my SBC long distance service I explained that they said it would be free if I didn't use it, then a month later started charging me a monthly fee. I'm a reasonable fast typist, so it took me less than 10 seconds to type that sentence. It took the survey guy literally 5 minutes to get that all down. I guess the survey company hiring standards are a tad low.

In other phone news, the Asian business community here answers the phone, "hello?" It's very confusing. When calling around the city looking for 12 volt 8 amp-hour rechargeable sealed lead acid batteries, one doesn't expect the shop owner to answer the phone, "hello?" I kept having to look back down at the phonebook to ask if I had indeed reached Acme Battery Company. Say the name of your company people. It will save us all a lot of time.

1 comment:

NWJR said...

That's about the funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks for the chuckle.