Monday, January 10, 2005

The Problem with Thank You

It seems that the thank you sign is not as useful as it could be.

First of all, there are far more irritating and stupid maneuvers happening on the road everyday than there are random acts of kindness. Also, while the "you're an ass" sign would be great, I would need one facing each direction. I find that most people decide they need to be retarded in front or to the side of me.

While driving around this weekend, nobody did anything nice for me. At least not anything that would put them behind me. One person did let me go at a stop sign, but then headed through the intersection to my right.

I guess the thank you sign will be solely for the purpose of thanking people for letting me in front of them on the freeway. Who needs an all purpose sign anyway?

Though it did occur to me that if my sign had read "thanks a lot" then it could be used sarcastically as well. If someone didn't let me merge, and I muscled my way in, "thanks a lot" would be just about perfect. Oooh, or even better: A 2 part sign. The top half would say "thanks" and the bottom would say "ass." I could thank someone, call them an ass, or sarcastically say, "thanks, ass."

If my fear of getting shot wasn't so pervasive, I think I'd have another project for myself this weekend.

No comments: